Upcoming WLC Events Calendar
Connect. Engage. Enjoy.
(be among the first to know, subscribe to sync our upcoming events to your calendar!)
- Second Harvest Food Bank Volunteering Opportunity – August 20, 2022
Join fellow WLC members on August 20th to help inspect and sort donated items at our local food bank! Each volunteer shift earns credits for Safe Alliance to purchase food for the shelter.
The shift is 8:30-11:30am at the food bank. After we finish, we’ll head over for lunch/drinks at Heist Brewery!
Sign ups close August 5th — There are only 10 spots available, so sign up soon! Register HERE
*Masks and closed-toed shoes required
Event Name: Saturday – Inspect & Sort / Age 13 and up
Event Date/Time: Sat, Aug 20, 2022 – 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM
**Anyone arriving 15 minutes late will be asked to reschedule.
Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina
500-B Spratt Street, Charlotte NC 28206
Betsy Van Dyne
- Kindly wear a mask (update 5/18/21) SHFB has decided that at this time, we will continue to require all volunteers, visitors, agencies and our staff to wear a mask. If you do not have one, we do have disposable masks available upon your arrival.
- If you have a fever or do not feel well, we urge you not to attend. If you are displaying signs of being sick, one of our team members will ask you to leave.
- Please sign in and then go to the restroom and wash your hands with soap and warm water for a min. of 40 seconds.
- Put on disposable gloves that we will provide for you
- At the end of your shift, wipe down all tables with provided wipes
- Before exiting our building, go to the restroom, remove your gloves and put in trash. Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 40 seconds.
Important Reminders – Please read:
- This shift is for volunteers ages 13 and older. Age 13 – 16 must have an adult age 21 or older with them during the entire shift and must be scheduled. Sorry no younger siblings will be permitted to participate. Youth Groups must have 1 adult per 4 youth. Youth Groups that do not follow instructions or safety procedures, will be asked to leave immediately and will not be able to register for future dates.
- Attire: Closed Toe Shoes are required to enter our building. You will not be permitted to volunteer in sandals, flip flops or an injury type of foot boot as you will be in our working warehouse. Please wear comfortable clothing. No controversial wear. During colder days, a light jacket or sweatshirt is best. During warmer months, shorts of a respectful length are permitted. Earbuds are not permitted for safety reasons
- No weapons of any kind is permitted inside our building
- Latecomers: Project instructions are given at the beginning of each shift. Anyone arriving 15 minutes late will be asked to reschedule. We do need to enforce the cut-off time as it hurts our production if our staff has to go over the instructions for the second time to latecomers. Arriving 10-15 minutes early will give you time to sign-in, make a name tag and use the restroom if needed.
- REQUIREMENTS: Standing during the shift is required, Bending and light lifting is necessary. All volunteers must be able to perform all tasks on their own.
- Food & Drink: No outside food or drinks of any kind are permitted in our building. Volunteer Stations in the warehouse will have bottled water for our volunteers.
- Sickness: If you are showing any signs of being sick, please stay home. If you do arrive and we feel that it is best that you are not around food or other volunteers, we will ask you to leave. Thank you for understanding.
- Waiver – Our sign-in sheet includes our SHFB waiver so there is no need to have your group sign anything before they arrive.
- Location: 500-B Spratt Street, Charlotte 28206. (Crisis Assistance is next to us and they are 500-A)
- Parking: You may park in our parking lot (left side of our building), gravel lot across from the food bank, in our neighbor’s parking lot (Crisis Assistance Ministry) or in the street (no meters). Please note that you may park on the outside of the circle only. Do not park where signs are located that say “No Parking” posted on the inside of the circle or in our staff parking lot as your car may be towed.
- Entrance: Please go to the parking lot on the left side of our building, go towards the back of our building and you will see a ramp with doors that are marked entrance.
- Purses/Valuables: Please leave valuables at home or lock in your car trunk. We do not have lockers to store purses and are not responsible for any lost items that may fall into a bin while you are sorting.
- Zero Tolerance Policy: Anyone putting candy, snacks or any other item into their pocket, will be asked to leave and will not be able to volunteer for any future dates. If the individual is with a group, the entire group will be asked to leave and not be able to attend in the future. We strongly enforce this policy.
- Covid-19 – A mask must be worn over your mouth and nose during your volunteer shift. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided to you upon entering our building. We also provide disposable gloves.